Teretonga Park (Invercargill)

Invercargill, New Zealand

Teretonga is a motor racing circuit just south of Invercargill, with a circuit length of 2.57 kilometers.

It is the home of the Southland Sports Car Club which has been one of the leading Clubs in the country. The Club entered the International motor race series in 1956 with the fastest-ever motor race on a road circuit at Ryal Bush. This led to the construction of Teretonga Park in 1957 at Sandy Point, the second purpose-built motor racing track in New Zealand. It was extended to its present configuration in 1966.

In the golden age of NZ Motor Racing in the 60s and 70s, Teretonga hosted many of the world’s greatest drivers.

The New Zealand Grand Prix was first held on Teretonga in January 2001.

Regarded by many drivers as the best and safest track in the country, it has been up-graded on a continual basis. The regular racing programme includes rounds of the local Clubmans Series; featuring rounds of South Island Racing Registers and a very large Classic Car meeting in February of each year.

The circuit is also used for Sprints and Motorkhanas, and other clubs run Motor Cycle and Drag Races at Teretonga.